Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sorry God...Say That Again Please

I don’t claim to be an expert in God-talk but based on my experience He has always given me directions whenever crossroads come my way. Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous---and believe me, I’ve had a lot of such coincidences in my life. The most recent of which was the competency seminar for our department last June 25.

Actually, the first half of this one day seminar involved an inspirational talk by Francis Kong and the second half devoted to HR issues. Truth be known, I wasn’t really in the mood to attend much less listen to someone tell me what to do with my life. I have heard of Francis Kong. I have been summoned to attend 2 company sponsored events with him as speaker which I both missed due to reasons that I could no longer remember, so, I did not find it any loss for me to miss this one too.

Coincidence #1: I was hell bent on not attending when suddenly I receive a text message from my boss regarding a family emergency that would render her unable to attend. Now for both of us to miss the seminar would reflect negatively on our team, so I was forced to drag my sorry ass and endure the day-long boredom (or at least that’s what I thought it would be).

Coincidence #2: I have been bothered by a question for the past couple of days and it has been giving me a heavy feet. Thirty seconds after Francis Kong started talking he gave me the answer to that question. It was as if God was talking to me through him. I was caught---HOOK, LINE, and SINKER! Boring it was definitely NOT!

“Life is not what happens, its how you deal with it.”

God may have seen me as a doubting Thomas so he did not just speak to me through Mr. Kong’s animated take on life. If you’re a Facebook friend of mine you may have seen my wall post about this itching feeling for me to buy a book.

Coincidence #3: Mr. Kong is also a writer and has brought copies of his books for sale. Four books were on display that day. Unfortunately, I have no idea what they were all about and so I just browsed through the back cover and inside flaps and found two books with the phrase “make you laugh” and bought them both---“The Early Bird Catches the Worm/But the Second Mouse Gets the Cheese” and “Just When You Think You Can’t Do it…Do it!” My itch to buy myself a book was satisfied twice over and you know what? These two books reinforced the answer that God made me realize during the talk.

Coincidence #4: I took the children to watch “Toy Story 3” after the seminar. At first I was so riled up to write this blog that I thought I can just pay for the tickets, bunk at Starbucks and pen my thoughts as I wait for the movie to finish. “No sireeee!” said my wife. 20 years married and I know the tone that would get me in trouble---that was the tone! So off we went to watch. Lo and behold! Guess what the moral of the movie was---LETTING GO and MOVING ON!

God really works in mysterious ways!

No comments: