Saturday, July 2, 2011

Homecoming Planning or the Lack Thereof and Other Stuff

I was in a meeting...well, it was suppose to be a group planning of an alumni homecoming but the turn out was...let's just say we just bonded over lunch and coffee.  We did start out discussing the latest updates of the homecoming but as soon as the issue of funding came up everything else led  to a big question mark.  Can't really move without money.  Can't make bookings and reservations without a downpayment, right?  Ah, well...the next two weeks will decide the fate of this endeavor.  The positive thing about the "meeting" was that AT LEAST SOMEONE CAME; otherwise, it would have been a very lonely meeting for me.

After finishing off the pork sisig and tapang bulalo at Gerry's Grill (near ABS-CBN) I was resigned to the fact that no one else will be coming to attend the meeting.  So it was bonding time for me and my friend Nahnel over coffee at the nearby Starbucks shop.  Actually, coffee was just secondary to crossing over the coffee shop at the ABS-CBN compound.  We were actually hoping to spot a TV personality or two in the vicinity---no such luck though.  A couple of good looking gals did pass by but that was as far as we got on that enterprise.  While waiting for that elusive celebrity moment we had the chance to talk about the latest happenings in our lives---work, family, and anything else in between.  What struck a nerve though was the issue on teenage pregnancy.  Well, at least the almost happening of it. 

I have written about this topic a couple of blogs ago as my greatest fear in life.  I should know---I was in that very same situation when I was young (I was 21 and my then girlfriend, who became my wife, was 19).  One thing going for me was that I was seriously in love with my wife and as soon as the gravity of the situation sunk in and realized that it was not just a nightmare, I was determined to face the responsibility.  Unfortunately, pre-marital sex nowadays is an accepted fact among young adults that it has lost its significance in terms of responsible practice.  We parents are to blame for this.  The value of a responsible sex life is something that parents need to imbibe in their children.  Of course, the best contraceptive will always be ABSTINENCE.  Unfortunately, once the libido comes into hyper-drive it's like stopping a boulder running down hill.  So here are my tips to all you young adults out there:

     1.  If you're not the luckiest guy/girl in the world---DON'T DO IT.  Let me quantify what I mean by
          luck here.  Consider yourself lucky IF (a) your parents are filthy rich and are longing to have
          grandchildren; (b) both you and your partner's parents will happily accept this incident, and (c) you are certain that your partner's parents will not have the impulse to chop you to pieces or hire someone
          to abduct you, torture you, and then feed you to the fishes.
     2.  If you have this itching feeling in your mid-section---it's better to scratch it yourself.  It is self
          gratifying, safe, and it's over and done with in less than 5 minutes.
     3.  Don't put yourself in the position of NO RETURN.  And when is this?  That's when you're both
          stripped down to your naked glory and...darn it!  If you're not a saint---RUN and for heaven's sake don't look back! (remember what happened to Lot's wife?)
     4.  Study, work, and play daddy/mommy IS NOT EASY.  If you can't hack this---ZIP IT!
     5.  Fifteen minutes of ecstacy cannot compensate for a lifelong of misery.  Laging tandaan---WALANG NAGSISISI SA UNA, LAGING SA HULI!

And that's the bottomline!  I rest my case.

No comments: