Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's the Fuss About?

I was relaxing at home last night leafing through the day's edition of the Philippine STAR when I chanced upon the column "As I Wreck this Chair" by William M. Esposo. His topic: Martin Nievera's controversial national anthem version.

This news has been hogging the news since Pacman's second round demolition of Hatton. I just dismissed it as another topic to hype the othewise short story of Pacman's bout with Hatton. However, after reading this piece, where Martin Nievera suppoose to have violated Section 37, Chapter 2 of Republic Act 8491 or the Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines, I was suddenly intrigued! Man, I didn't even know such a Law existed!

Based on the erudite discourse the Mr. Esposo put forth to criticize Mr. Nievera's version of the Philippine National Anthem, I'd say that the former is a purist pumped up with traditional blood! I salute Mr. Esposo's patriotism and I must agree that Mr. Nievera is not in the league with Pavarotti, Domingo, and Contreras but to malign Mr. Nievera and comparing him to a plundere and with Salman Rushdie was unfair!

Ignorance of the law excuses no one. Poor Martin! What if Pacquiao lost the fight---would we be having this discourse as to how the anthem was sung? I don't think so! Was Martin the first singer to deviate from the original arrangement by Julian Felipe? Mr. Esposo mentioned two other names---Charise Pempengco and Jennifer Bautista. How come their version did not generate the same intensity like what we're having with Martin? If this law was really sacrosanct our lawmakers should have put their foot down the first instance! This only goes to show that even our dear upholders of the law share the same ignorance as the singers who violated it!




No comments: